The next day we trawled the bazaars (they were making bangles on the street!), and eventually wound our way up to the crumbly old palace at sunset to gaze out over the amazing view. We scrambled up to the abandoned fort ---- a haunted place ---- and explored its dark nooks and crannies. There were creepy paintings of battles and goddesses peeling on the walls, vines crawling over gaping holes in the ground, stairways disappearing into the darkness.
Just as the sun began to set, the monkeys started appearing. It was clear that this was their time, their territory. They followed us out. A large male came charging at us down the steep rocky path while I was taking a picture of a baby… we scrambled down the hill quickly, brandishing our monkey stick. By the time we got down to the palace, it was crawling with monkeys. They were springing madly around the courtyard, climbing up to the incense-swirling shrines and eating the altar offerings, looming ominously on the high palace walls, eyeing us darkly. It was eery. They didn’t want us there…
**************************
The next morning, we had a sunrise breakfast on the roof and caught our last glimpses of this fairy-tale village. An ochre light was burning up the sky, doming over the misty-pale streets, resting on the rooftops. Blues of the buildings were changing minutely, spreading out and bolding. It’s like one of those rajasthani miniatures: tiny details and curls of color tinged in gold. But for us, Bundi will always be the beautiful people who treated us with kindness and incredible generosity. It will always be the people.

3 comments:
I signed up for facebook and then cancelled my account after 2 minutes. I tried to look up some of my friends, but I couldn't tell if it was them or not and it said I had to add them as a friend and get added back in order to view their profile just to see if it was the right person. Too much effort for me and how am I supposed to be able to troll and spy on people I used to know if I can't peek at their profiles without adding them first?.
;p
I'm so glad you're going to keep up your blog. I like Facebook, but it gets to be to much sometimes. I'm just glad you're going to write here to. Love you guys:)
Dear L & M,
Laurel, as always, your words are musical. You are able to convey the motion of life moving around you -- even if it means being chased by monkeys.
By the way, how do we get to your facebook account? (My email is jamesmcrowley@gmail.com).
Love to you both,
Uncle Jim
Post a Comment